We’ve all seen those bad celebrity plastic surgery photos where the person barely looks like themselves after a few procedures. Maybe their lips are inflated to unrealistic proportions or the skin on their face is so tight, they almost look like a wax figure. These highly publicized plastic surgery disasters sometimes give cosmetic surgery a bad name. As a Houston cosmetic surgeon, my goal is always to balance artistry with technical know-how to create results that look amazing but completely natural. Sometimes, however, I’m called in after the fact and a patient seeks out Premiere Surgical Arts for corrective surgery, such as breast implant revision, because they’re unhappy with the outcome they had at another practice. Corrective cosmetic procedures can be really successful but getting it right the first time is obviously ideal. Here are some mistakes to avoid that can lead to bad plastic surgery that appears fake:
- Choosing the Wrong Size Implant – Whether it’s breast implants or cheek implants, often, our natural instinct is to choose a size that will make a dramatic impact. Yet, bigger isn’t always better when you’re augmenting a part of your body. In fact, one of the most common reasons I perform breast implant revision surgery in Houston at my practice is because the patient wants to go smaller in order to get more natural looking breast implants. A hallmark of bad plastic surgery that screams, “fake” is a lack of balance. Picking the right size implant is key to maintaining the perfect balance.
- Going too Heavy on the Injectables – Enormous, overly plump lips are an instant giveaway that you’ve had a procedure done and when it comes to all of the articles about plastic surgery disasters, they’re one of the first things that are pointed out. At your consultation, I’ll sit down with you and help you decide on the perfect volume for filler. You can always add more if you want. Though hyaluronic acid fillers, like JUVEDERM®, are reversible, it is definitely more cost-effective to go slowly and more conservatively with fillers from the get-go.
Botox® Cosmetic is another injectable that is wildly popular. When done right, you will look younger and more refreshed but no one will be able to tell you’ve opted for Botox (really!). The frozen face look that people often associate with bad plastic surgery is typically because of too large of a dose or poor technique. It’s important to get enough Botox to relax dynamic wrinkles and lines but not so much that you’re unable to make facial expressions. After years of experience with injectables, I’m able to help you settle on the ideal dose and use the proper technique to get attractive, subtle results.
- Ignoring Your Body Proportions – Most cosmetic surgery procedures, including liposuction, breast implants, facial implants, rhinoplasty, and Brazilian butt lifts, all require taking into account your proportions to help create symmetry and balance. When you throw off your natural proportions by injecting too much fat into your butt during a Brazilian butt lift or removing too much from one area with liposuction, it does not look natural. I always say it’s just as much about what you leave behind as what you take away. It’s a lot like sculpting something out of clay. You can’t just focus on one part of the sculpture and expect the rest to fall into place. You have to see the bigger picture and work within it, which is where choosing a great cosmetic surgeon comes into play.
- Working Against Your Natural Features – Good cosmetic surgery will enhance your body or face. The goal isn’t to completely alter it or clash with your natural features. For example, before performing nose surgery, I evaluate your face shape and all of your facial features so that the end result of your rhinoplasty will look harmonious. Trying to force a certain type or shape of nose when it clashes with your natural features can lead to an unnatural look and regrets.
- Picking the Wrong Surgeon – The bottom line for avoiding bad plastic surgery is working with an experienced, knowledgeable surgeon who you trust completely. When I discuss what a patient should expect from their surgery and help them decide on things like the perfect size breast implant, I have their interest at heart. After performing thousands of procedures, I know what will look with their body and shape. It’s also crucial to check out a doctor’s cosmetic surgery before and after photos to get an idea of their work. Ask questions at your consultation and get as much information as possible so you can make informed decisions about your care. If you have a certain procedure in mind, don’t hesitate to ask the surgeon if they have pictures of a patient with a similar body shape or size to yours who had the procedure done. This will allow you to get a visual of what your outcome may look like before you move forward.
At Premiere Surgical Arts, my aim is to help you become the version of yourself and that means creating results that make an impact but are still natural looking. Whether you’re interested in a procedure or you’ve had bad plastic surgery in the past that you’d like corrected, book a consultation at my Houston cosmetic surgery center and I’ll work with you to get the look you’ve always wanted in a way that’s subtle and stunning.